Thursday, March 20, 2008

RIP Ginelli’s

Today marked the end of an era. Ginelli’s has discontinued their two for one deal on Thursday mornings. There was a time not long ago that office workers lined up throughout the skyways for a change to purchase one piece of pizza and get a second free. It was a right of passage for many who just started working downtown. I should have been suspicious by the drastic reduction in the number of people waiting this morning. We all overlooked the new sign. Instead of “Thursday 10:30-11:00 2 Slices for the Price of 1,” the new sign read, “2 Slices for $5.” Each slice normally cost $2.75. Do you think we don’t know basic math Ginelli’s workers?! I’m not eating two slices of pizza at 10:30 in the morning to save 50 cents. I am eating two slices of pizza at 10:30 in the morning because it is my right to do so as an American! An unfortunate soul from India was first in line. When he was charged $10 for 4 slices instead of the usual $5.50 he became belligerent. “I in America. I eat 4 pizza for slice of 2 pizza!” A nod to the new sign and a reference to the economic times left him downturned and helpless. Welcome to America, amigo.

No comments: