Monday, March 3, 2008

The Burger Place


The Burger Place

501 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis
(612) 338-1213.
Credit cards accepted








Meals:

Cheeseburger with ketchup and mayo, and fries
Cheeseburger with everything and fries

Monday Special: $6.56
Regular Price: $5.45 for Burger and fries not including tax and beverage.


Review:
I wake up at 6:45 AM every day. It is usually dark outside and lately has been nuts cold. Monday mornings are the worst. I don’t care if it is cliché. Listening to my clock radio blare a static laden report on NPR I lay in the dark; Consciousness comes to me slowly, painfully. One thing and one thing only propels me out of bed on this day; a visit to The Burger Place a scant 5 hours into the future. If I am ever in a coma I really hope I have plans to eat out somewhere otherwise I fear I will always be lost in the abyss.

The Burger Place is festooned with award after award. So what if the City Pages is the only one giving out the Plaques? The Burger Connoisseurs arrived at 12:15 to find that there was no line. Surprising given that Monday is the day of the $5.95 special which consists of a cheeseburger, medium soda, and your choice of fries or salad. Our recommendation is to go with the fries, but then again, we aren’t paying your medical premiums. The set up of The Burger Place is cafeteria like in the very best, efficient, sense of the word. You walk in, grab a tray and shuffle through the assembly line. At the beginning you order and are given a number. At the end you pay and fill up your drink. What happens in-between depends on how interesting your thought life is. Oftentimes by the time you sit down your food will arrive at the same time you do.

In our case the lack of a queue was deceptive. Everyone was already sitting down. What’s nice about the way the space is set up is that if you are dining alone, one whole side of the room is bar style seating that looks out past the light rail and to a courtyard with some optimistic statues. The rest of the seating is Spartan and compact. Although the tables are spaced out by a few inches you can’t help but feel like you are part of a power lunch if a couple of business looking types sit at the table next to you. Sometimes I like to offer my own opinion on what the business types are discussing. “I’d foreclose, for sure,” I tell them between fries. “You know that a-hole Harris”, I continue, “He gives fuck-all about the interest rates in China.”

Today the place was packed tight. We squeezed into a table and waited all of three seconds for our burgers. The City Pages does not lie; These are some good burgers. Although the patty is a little on the thin and dry side, it is delicious. The slight tang of the mayo along with a slightly toasted bun complements the freshly cooked burger perfectly. The fries are crispy but need salt. The only complaint is that the lettuce is shredded iceberg rather that a whole leaf and if you say you want everything on your burger, everything does not include onions. Minor complaints overall. If you want a good burger fast you need look no further. The Burger Place delivers in ways I didn’t think were legal.

Rating:


Big Ups
Great tasting burger delivered quickly.

Under Surveillance
If you like privacy while you dine don’t go during peak hours.

Final Word
Award winning burger that delivers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those fries look really good..familiar though. Are you sure they are not Ronald's fries or a knock off? Let us continue, no onions?? How does this consititue a burger? I would hope you can ask for onions and they will provide otherswise I'm afraid Grimace will stick with a quarter pounder with cheese.

Grimace

Anonymous said...

Big Kahuna Burger. That's that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers

Later,
Jules

Anonymous said...

Farva: Give me a double bacon cheeseburger.
Dimpus Burger Guy: [into mic] Double baco cheeseburger. It's for a cop.
Farva: What the hell's that all about? You gonna spit in it now?
Dimpus Burger Guy: No, I just told him that so he makes it good.
[into mic]
Dimpus Burger Guy: Don't spit in that cop's burger.
Farva: Yeah, thanks.
Second Dimpus Guy: Roger, holding the spit.
Farva: Gimme a pie... apple.
Dimpus Burger Guy: Want me to hold the spit? Hah, just kidding officer Farva.
[pause]
Dimpus Burger Guy: Want me to dimpa-size your meal for 25 cents?
Farva: Want me to punch-a-size your face, for free?
Dimpus Burger Guy: It's only 25 cents, and look how much more you get.

Anonymous said...

Two weeks and no burgers? Geez I hate burgers.